PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under general supervision, perform journeyman-level work in the design, construction, repair and
maintenance of structures and related physical facilities; act as lead worker to other classified staff in
the area; and perform related work as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Constructing, fabricating and installing curb, sidewalk, footing, grade beam, wall, column, stair, slab
- and suspended slab forms in accordance with site specific requirements and job scope.
- Operating hand tools, power actuated tools as required to perform tasks including inspecting and
- ensuring proper, safe use.
- Installing heating/hoarding, temporary fencing, guardrails, handrails and barriers as required.
- Participating in daily tool-box talks.
- Reviewing and preparing daily Field Level Hazard Assessments.
- Participating in weekly safety meetings.
- Ensuring proper Personal Protective Equipment is used for all tasks.
- Advising supervision of unsafe conditions or acts that may be a hazard or danger to self and other
- Reading blueprints and/or getting instructions from supervision.
- Preparing layout including selecting materials, planning sequences and methods of work.
- Installing shoring.
- Removing/stripping forms.
- Ensuring work areas are kept clean and free of hazards.
- Ensuring tools and equipment are returned to job boxes and tool cribs.
- Reporting all incidents, “near miss” incidents including damage/non-damage, injury/non-injury
- Reviewing and participating in the preparation of safe work practices/procedures as required.
- Other tasks and duties as required on the jobsite
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to solve arithmetic problems quickly and accurately.
- Ability to get along well with others in a team environment.
- Positive attitude towards safety.
- Ability to take direction and follow through on instructions.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to cooperate well with others.
- Willingness to learn.
- Willingness to coach and mentor junior carpenters and apprentices.
- Willingness to take initiative, is self-motivated