Apprentice / Laborer Carpenter
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under general supervision, perform apprentice-level work in construction, repair and maintenance of structures and related physical facilities, follow direction from carpenters or foreman, and perform related work as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Chipping, patching, grinding or polishing concrete surfaces using abrasive tools or machines.
- Removing/stripping forms.
- Assisting in building/preparing/erecting formwork for concrete pours.
- Bolt, nail and align forms.
- Positioning, joining and aligning structural components.
- Shoveling cement and other materials into portable mixers or applicators.
- Mixing, pouring and spreading concrete.
- Operating hand tools, vibrators, power actuated tools as required to perform tasks including inspecting and ensuring proper, safe use.
- Installing and dismantling heating/hoarding, temporary fencing, guardrails, handrails and barriers as required.
- Installing shoring.
- Cleaning and preparation of work sites.
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans, specifications and directions provided.
- Perform demolition work and salvage useful materials.
- Identify, pack and transport hazardous materials in accordance with MSDS and OH & S regulations.
- Provide assistance to craft workers such as carpenters, concrete finishers.
- Participating in daily tool-box talks.
- Reviewing and preparing daily Field Level Hazard Assessments.
- Participating in weekly safety meetings.
- Ensuring proper Personal Protective Equipment is used for all tasks.
- Advising supervision of unsafe conditions or acts that may be a hazard or danger to self and other workers.
- Ensuring work areas are kept clean and free of hazards.
- Ensuring tools and equipment are returned to job boxes and tool cribs.
- Reporting all incidents, “near miss” incidents including damage/non-damage, injury/non-injury incidents.
- Reviewing and participating in the preparation of safe work practices/procedures as required.
- Other tasks and duties as required on the jobsite.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to solve arithmetic problems quickly and accurately.
- Ability to get along well with others in a team environment.
- Positive attitude towards safety.
- Ability to take direction and follow through on instructions.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to cooperate well with others.
- Willingness to learn.
- Willingness to coach and mentor junior carpenters and apprentices.
- Willingness to take initiative is self-motivated.
- Perform all tasks assigned by supervisor. With only the right to refuse UNSAFE work.
- To field supervision, Foremen, and Carpenters
- Ensure compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety legislation, guidelines, standards, policies, procedures and practices. Responsible for performing work in the safest manner possible.
- Grade ten (10) as a minimum.
- Apprenticeship – Level 1 through 4 certification.
- Non-ticketed skills equivalent to Level 1 through 4 certification.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Willing to work in a variety of areas and jobsites and willing to travel as required.
- Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching, heavy lifting and carrying. Work in tiring and uncomfortable positions; outside and inside; on slippery or uneven walking surfaces, ladders, and scaffolding; and around machinery with moving parts. Exposure to hot and cold temperatures, excessive noises, fumes, and toxic chemicals.
Valid certifications including (but not limited to):
- H2S Alive
- Standard First Aid
- Ground Disturbance, 201 Standard
- Fall Arrest
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS-0 9)
- GCS yearly orientation
- Aerial Work Platform
- Spotter Training